Advincula Research Group
E-mail: email@example.com [phone: 216-368-4566]
Research Themes and Capabilities:
1. Polymer and Materials Synthesis:Precision Synthesis, Dendrimers, Surfactants, Nanocomposites, Nanomaterials, Polyelectrolytes, Telechelics.
2. Characterization of Materials:Spectroscopy, Microscopy, Chemical Structure, Surface Analysis, Particle Analysis, Stress Testing, thermo-mechanical analysis, ultrathin films, dielectric, electrochemical: AFM, TEM, SEM, IR, NMR, TGA, DSC, TMA, XRD, XPS, SPR, QCM, EIS, DLS
3. Coatings and Films:Nanostructured multilayers, Spin-coating, Evaporation, Layer-by-Layer, Grafting Polymers, Langmuir-Blodgett, Bulk thin fllms, dip coating, Spray Coating, Polymer film extrusion, thermal curing, photochemical curing.
4. Particles and Nanoparticles:Latex particles, nanoparticles, graphene, CNT, silica, nanocrystals, dendrimers, proppants, encapsulation, hollow-shell, core-shell, lithographically fabricated NPs.
5. Biomaterials: Anti-microbial, Implant surfaces, biosensors, protein-resistant, virus nanoparticles, nanofibers, nanocellulose, drug delivery.
6. Oil & Gas and Geothermal: Proppant coatings, Fluid additives, Chemical inhibitors, Oilfield chemicals, fouling resistant coatings, Flow assurance, Nanocomposites, PVT stress testing, Corrosion Testing, Oil and water separation, and 3D Printing.
7. Emerging Themes and Research Capabilities: 3D Printing Materials and Failure testing, Flow Chemistry and Synthesis, Nanotribology.
8. Working with Industry:Product development, testing, technology platform, failure analysis, process optimization, new characterization tools, reformulation, validation and standards testing.
Our discovery driven group investigates the area of molecular, macromolecular, and supramolecular synthesis and structure of polymers and nanomaterials capable of controlled-assembly to form ultrathin films and dispersions. Synthesis is involved wherever it applies to incorporating functional groups to provide amphiphilicity, ligand functionality, electrochemical activity, and in the preparation of pi-electron conjugated oligomers and polymers.
There is a lot of interest on dendrimeric and hybrid colloidal materials. Ultrathin films and coatings are formed using techniques such as self-assembled monolayers (SAM), Langmuir-Blodgett-Kuhn (LBK), electrostatic layer-by-layer (ELBL) and surface initiated polymerization (SIP). Techniques like Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) Spectroscopy, Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), Quartz Crystal Microbalance (QCM), electrochemistry, polarized spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, X-ray reflection are used for analyzing such films. Interfacial phenomena issues are studied using surface sensitive measurement techniques coupled with preparation of modified ultra thin films and surfaces.
Colloidal materials and dispersions are prepared and invesitgated eventually for thin film applications. In the area of biotechnology, our interest focuses on the preparation of modified surfaces for bio-adhesion, bio-sensing, anti-microbial properties, and drug delivery. We continue to investigate new materials and processes applicable to industry related projects. This includes fluids, proppants, emulsions, coatings, plastics,nanocomposites, packaging, corrosion, pharmaceutics, sensors, biomedical devices, and electronics. Details of our activities on these areas are available upon request. Polymers for Oil and Gas.